Thursday, March 24, 2011

Ten Books Everyone Should Read # 10


Years ago, when I was a lowly English major, I recall taking a survey literature course with a professor who made the statement: "No one who presumes to take up the mantle of historian, sociologist, psychologist, lawyer or student of English in the western world can do so without an intimate knowledge of the Bible." I've thought much of his words through the years and they ring as true today as they did thirty years ago.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that without a knowledge of the Bible, one cannot fully understand much of European or English literature. There are far too many allusions (as with Shakespeare as prime example) from the Bible to wander through the great works without a Biblical background. And the same could be said for any discipline where involvement in human thought and predicament play a role.

So, even thought the Bible is my spiritual bailiwick, I'm going to maintain that the Bible is still the #1 book everyone should read . . . in fact, study is required. Even if a person approaches the Bible from a purely literary vantage point, the Bible is without doubt the greatest book ever written. There can be found on more influential poetry, narratives, themes, or allusions than the Bible.

If you haven't read in it lately, better get crackin'. It's a big book, and worthy of your best efforts and concentration. And no matter how many times you've read "The Book" you are certain to find some new material.

(NOTE: According to my stats on this blog, few are reading it. Please let me know if you find this blog of interest. I'll keep going. If not, I'll give attention to other venues.)

No comments:

Post a Comment